Saturday, November 12, 2011

Election Message

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me.  The fact that about 3,400 people in this town cared enough to cast a vote for me is astonishing, especially considering that I started out as a virtual unknown.  It's proof that there is traction for the message in Wilmington and that given the right circumstances it could gain steam.

I'd especially like to thank the people who volunteered for me.  This is an enormous group of people: people stood for two weeks or so at the polls for early voting; people have gone door-to-door with me; people have helped me put up signs; people have worked the polls; people have donated money.  What all of you have done truly amazes me, and the fact that I can count you all as friends has been probably the best thing that happened to me this year.  I do not consider this a defeat now that I know all of you.
 
Some people might say that the outlook for Wilmington is pretty grim, and I'd agree.  I've mentioned before that our unemployment is up, spending is out of control, and 9 out of 10 business owners say that it's easier to do business with other city governments than it is with Wilmington.  Unfortunately, the people who got into office, with the potential exception of Neil Anderson, simply represent the status quo. 

I don't think, however, that the people who voted for me can give up, because we know that more government is not the answer.  Only a return to lmited government and individual rights will solve the problems caused by massive government over-reach.  We know the solution to the problem, and we can't give up because eventually the problems are going to get larger and larger and will affect more and more people.
I wish you all good luck, and will be taking a much needed step away from the limelight for now.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment